Mr Harry Powell was a medical student in London at the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St Thomas' (1997-2003). He undertook basic surgical training in Bristol, followed by ENT specialist training at several prestigious London teaching hospitals:
He gained a breadth of experience treating adults and children with all ENT conditions.
Two and a half years of otology, cochlear implants, neuro-otology and skull base surgery at the Royal National Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital cemented his sub-specialist interests.
He was awarded the Graham Fraser Memorial Fellowship and two Royal College of Surgeons grants for advanced surgical training in ear surgery and auditory implantation in Sydney, Australia where he developed an interest in endoscopic ear surgery.
Harry returned to Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust as the otology and auditory implant fellow and was subsequently appointed as a Consultant there in September 2016.
Mr Harry Powell is an ENT Surgeon that looks after children and adults with all ENT conditions. These include:
He has particular interests in diseases of the ear, hearing rehabilitation and auditory implants
• Royal Society of Medicine, Otology section short papers prize 2016
• Alice Maud Hall Prize for BACO 2015
• Combined Universities temporal bone dissection prize 2015
• Award from the Colledge Family Memorial Fellowship Fund 2013
• Award from the Ethicon Foundation Fund 2013
• Winner – UCL Battle of the Surgeons 2013
• Graham Fraser Memorial Fellowship award
• Alice Maud Hall Prize for overseas observership 2011
• Audit prize, Southend University Hospital research & audit day, 2010
• Royal Society of Medicine, Ian Mackay Essay Prize 2009-10
• Hartopp Dixon Prize 2008
• Merit - Special Study Modules. GKT School of Medicine
• Batten award for outstanding all round contribution to school life
Glue ear, Middle ear effusion, Grommets, Eustachian tube problems, Perforation/hole in the eardrum
Wax, Infections, Discharge, Blockage, Pain, Acute or chronic infection, Chronic otitis media, Cholesteatoma
Hearing problems, Otosclerosis, Cochlear implants, Middle ear implants, Bone conduction implants
Balance problems including: Meniere's Disease, Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), Superior semicircular canal dehiscence
Trauma, temporal bone fracture, facial nerve injury, facial palsy
Nasal blockage/obstruction, Nasal discharge, Congestion, Post-nasal drip, Mucous, Allergy, Rhinitis
Sinus problems/infections, Acute and chronic sinusitis, Nasal polyps
Trauma, Nasal fracture, Altered sense of smell, Nosebleeds/epistaxis
Throat discomfort/pain, Tonsillitis, Tonsil stones/tonsilloliths
Swallowing difficulty, dysphagia, Feeling of a lump in the throat, globus pharyngeus, laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR)
Voice problems, Hoarseness, Voice change
Snoring, enlarged tonsils, asymmetrical tonsils
For an appointment contact HCA on:
Secretary (Heather): 020 81831111
London Bridge Hospital, HCA at The Shard, London, UK, SE1 9BS
Clinics: Weds 6pm-8pm Thurs 8am-1pm
Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust, London, SE1 9RT
Copyright © 2017 Harry Powell - ENT Surgeon - All Rights Reserved.